This is the title of the popular, timeless book written by Dale Carnegie. It’s sold more copies than any other book except for the Bible.
Here’s the short list of what you can do once you’ve reached the destination:
- Smile at everyone you meet, especially before you speak.
- Have compassion for every person you meet throughout the day FIRST even if you’re on the receiving end of verbal or physical abuse (unless the person is characterized by it or it is life-threatening). In other words, absorb it.
- Ask questions like ‘what’s going-on personally’ or ‘do you know how this makes me feel?’.
- Offer/do something to help them. If the other person is characterized by being abusive, it’s a question of lack of a skill or a behavior. Outline a plan, including consequences for lack of progress. Lastly, follow-through.
- Bring good closure with that person before you continue your day.
Result: you’l have plenty of energy for the top performers/best friends and you’ll never be weighed-down by what could have been with some of your relationships.